Important information – please read carefully!
The Academic German Semester is a new programme for international students planning to study for a university degree in Germany. To be admitted to a German university, certain language skills are required by law. With the Academic German Semester, students with prior knowledge of the German langugage (intermediate level) can aquire these skills within only six months. The Academic German Semester has 20 places each year.
To be admitted to the programme you need to send us a letter of motivation either in German or English, describing your reasons and your plans for studying in Germany, and why you chose the University of Passau in particular. You should also indicate whether you fulfil the eligibility criteria (i.e. the entry qualifications) for a degree programme in Germany, other than the German language proficiency requirement.
The application procedure of the Academic German Semester consists of three stages:
You should attach or enclose the following documents:
- A cover letter (letter of motivation) in German or English
- Curriculum vitae in German or English
- A photocopy or scan of your secondary school leaving certificate
- Examples of leaving certificates are A Levels, Apolytirio, Baccalauréat, Gaokao, High School Diploma, Lise Diploması, Matura, Maturita, Scottish Highers, Te'udat bagrut, Título de Bachillerato + Pruebas de Aptitud. (This list is not exhaustive).
- Please also include certificates for all academic achievements gained after secondary school, such as university transcripts and certificates.
- Applicants from China are additionally required to send us a copy or scan of the APS certificate which they received from the Akademische Prüfstelle (德国驻华使馆文化处留德人员审核部) at the German Embassy in Beijing.
- The completed and signed application form for the Academic German Semester (German version / English Version) . Please provide an e-mail address that we can use to contact you regarding your application.
You may submit a paper-based application or apply by e-mail.
Please send your full application by post to:
University of Passau
German Courses Passau
If you wish to apply by e-mail, please ensure that you attach all of the above document scans in a single pdf file. The filename should be: Family name_Given name_AGS19
Send your application by email to following address:
If you have offered a place on the AGS programme and fulfil the university entrance requirements, you will receive a registration form. Please fill this in and send it back for a binding registration. You are only fully registered for the programme – and have a right to the place offered – after:
- GCP has received the completed and signed registration form.
- Please indicate on the registration form whether you will need help with finding accommodation in Passau.
- we are in receipt of certified copies, and where necessary, certified translations of the following documents have been received by post:
- your secondary school leaving certificate (see stage 1 above for examples)
- certificates for all academic achievements gained after secondary school
- applicants from China should also include the original APS certificate which they received from the APS in Beijing
- payment by bank transfer of €490 has been effected to the University’s bank account. GCP will provide the bank account details once your registration has been received.
Documents that are written in a language not offered by the Language Centre should be accompanied by a certified German translation (please see bottom of page for an explanation of what constitutes a certified copy and a certified translation). In general, you do not need to provide translations for certificates issued in the following languages: Chinese, Czech, English, French, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Thai or Vietnamese.
However, we may still request a certified translation after issuing a conditional offer for a place on the programme under certain circumstances.
Available places will be allocated in the order in which the registrations and payments are received. We therefore recommend that you make payment as early as possible, as places on the programme are strictly limited.
We reserve the right to retain your advance payment to cover our costs if you decide to cancel your reservation after 1 February. If you are unable to participate in the programme for reasons beyond your control (e.g. if you are denied a visa by the German immigration authorities), we will refund your payment less the bank charges for the bank transfer.
We will stop taking applications and registrations as soon as all places on the programme have been filled and notify all those who have been offered a place on the programme. Otherwise the closing date for registrations is 31 January: your payment and the completed registration form must reach us on or before that date. Applications and payments received after the e-mail notification or after the closing date will not be considered. Any payments received after that date will be refunded less the bank charges incurred.
Once the university has received your payment and registration sheet, we will send you an official confirmation of your admission to the language programme Academic German Semester which is important for your visa application.
The remaining course fee (€ 1.000,00) has to be paid before the course starts.
International students coming to Germany must abide by certain additional laws and regulations – for more information, please turn to the web pages of the International Office.
All other information pertaining to your stay in Passau, the programme and the support we provide during the courses will be sent to you at the end of the admission process.
Notice to applicants: additional requirements for degree programmes
While passing the German language test for admission to German higher education at level DSH-2 following the completion of one of our language courses will provide you with the requisite language skills for studying a German-taught degree programme at our University, we should to point out that this does not by itself entitle you to study a degree programme at the University of Passau! Therefore, we urgently advise you to inform yourself fully about the application requirements for your intended degree programme(s). Please contact the Academic Advice Service if you have further questions concerning your qualification and degree programmes. Once you feel you have the required documents and qualifications, you should proceed with the application process.